Ladies, what's your perfect guy look like? Great hair, beautiful eyes and a gorgeous smile? Oh, and he can dance? Serenade you with love songs? Sounds like a keeper! Multiply that perfection a few times and there you go, the quintessential boy band is born. At least that's how I imagine it happens.
Although a few things have changed since the 90s – gelled hair has been replaced with the Justin Beiber blowout – much of the boy band DNA remains the same. Good looks, catchy hooks, smooth moves. Hey, we can't help it; we "Want It That Way."
New Kids on the Block
- No. 1 Heartthrob: Jordan Knight
- Song: "Step By Step" (1990)
- Fun Fact: NKOTB was the first teen group to have four top ten hits on one album: "Hangin' Tough," "Please Don't Go Girl," "You Got It (The Right Stuff)" and "I'll Be Loving Your (Forever)."
Boyz II Men
- No. 1 Heartthrob: Shawn Stockman
- Song: "I'll Make Love to You" (1994)
- Fun fact: "I'll Make Love to You," was bumped from the No.1 spot on the Billboard Hot 100 by another Boyz II Men song, "On Bended Knee," making them the third US artist to achieve the feat in 30 years.
By the late-90s early-2000s, the Backstreet Boys were still "Playing Games with Our Hearts." Then, Justin Timberlake, Chris Kirkpartrick, Joey Fatone, Lance Bass and JC Chasez started a "No Strings Attached" love affair in the late-90s that went long-term, lasting well into the 2000s.
Late-90s / Early-2000s
- No. 1 Heartthrob: Nick Carter
- Song: "Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)" (1997)
- Fun fact: There were technically six Backstreet Boys. Lou Pearlman, the former Backstreet Boys' manager/producer - who double, I mean triple dipped - claimed a cut of the band's profits as their manager, producer and sixth member. The Ponzi schemer also represented 'N Sync, who followed suit and sued the scammer.
- No. 1 Heartthrob: Justin Timberlake
- Song: "Bye, Bye, Bye" (2000)
- Fun fact: Before JT started denying his roots, he was a curly-headed cutie. Oh, and Timberlake might have been the poster child of the 90s phenomenon known as "frosted tips."
- No. 1 Heartthrob: Isaac Hanson
- Song: "MMMBop" (1997)
- Fun fact: The Tulsa-based band of brothers started brewing beer, appropriately branded "Mmmhops."
After a few relatively quiet years on the boy band front, the British-Irish boys of One Direction made waves from across the pond. The British invasion led to a boy band resurgence. Heartthrobs like the Jonas Brothers, Big Time Rush and The Wanted popped up on the scene.
- No. 1 Heartthrob: Harry Styles
- Song: "Best Song Ever" (2013)
- Fun fact: 1D got their start as independent acts on the British version of the X-Factor, but none of them made the cut in the solo category. Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Liam Payne, Harry Styles, and Louis Tomlinson joined forces, and the rest is history.
- No. 1 Heartthrob: Joe Jonas
- Song: "S.O.S" (2007)
- Fun fact: The Jo Bros have a 13-year-old brother, Frankie, who's a young actor and is sometimes called the "Bonus Jonas."
The Australian quintet started out as a group of Aussies pulling pranks and posting videos on YouTube. Their outlandish stunts and questionable behavior caught the attention of the Biebs, who also found fame as a YouTube sensation. Now their mocumentaries, skits, and boyish good looks have earned them a loyal fan following. While The Janoskians fit the boy band bill, their tour name says differently. In April 2013, the group announced their Not a Boy Band Tour.
- No. 1 Heartthrob: Luke Brooks
- Song: "Best Friends" (2013)
- Fun fact: The band's name stands for "Just Another Name of Silly Kids in Another Nation."
Whether "Up All Night" listening to One Direction's newest hit, "Diana," or playing back the old school hits that paved the way for the boy bands of today, one thing's for sure, boy bands are hotter than ever! Man bands like NKOTB, Boyz II Men and the Backstreet Boys made a comeback, and our favorite boy bands of today have been touring their hearts out.
Who are you dying to see?
Good news, America! The World Series is officially here! But since only two teams can make it to the final dance, a big portion of you baseball fans are finding yourselves without a hometown team to root for. But not to worry! Our World Series Fan Flow Chart has you covered:
If you've bought a ticket from Ticketmaster this month, you've probably noticed something a little surprising; it's pink!
Ticketmaster has turned its tickets pink this month in honor of American Cancer Society's Breast Cancer Awareness campaign. And we want to get you in on the fun!
We want to see your pink tickets in all their rosy glory, so if you're up for it, we'd like you to post a photo of you posing with your Ticketmaster ticket using the hashtag #PinkTicket. Post it to Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, heck, even take a video with Vine! As long as you tag it with #PinkTicket, it'll show up on our #PinkTicket tagboard!
We want to paint the page pink with Ticketmaster tickets, so if you've got one handy, tag it, post it, and help spread us support Breast Cancer Awareness Month!